One Uno crunching, four servos spinning...

Making stuff, breaking stuff, tearing stuff apart. Doing stuff is fairly easy, the hardest part's to start.

One Uno crunching, four servos spinning...

Postby JamesM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 pm

...and a toy glockenspiel. See this link: https://vimeo.com/54566102

It's a little hard to see, but the servos control the mallets. The Arduino is on the right. It's not quite on key, but I blame the quality of the toy more than my musical ineptitude.
JamesM

Re: One Uno crunching, four servos spinning...

Postby AlexN » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:40 am

Hahaaa that is awesome. I love self-playing instruments. It is a bit off key though. Does the glockenspiel have the notes marked? Also, can you make it do the first part of Through The Fire and the Flames by Dragonforce?
AlexN
Site Admin

Postby JamesM » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 pm

The notes are marked on each bar - that's why I blame the toy's quality rather than my tin ear. I do control the delays between notes, though, and that needs some work too.

If, by the first part of Through The Fire and the Flames, you mean the instrumental part at the beginning, I think the little Arduino would melt if it tried that. Besides, if I try to reduce delay between notes too much, it tends to just ignore some notes, as if it can't keep up. Part of that might be that I'm running all the servos through the USB port instead of with a good power supply. That seems to cause unexpected results, like the mallets getting into a sword fight with each other.

This is the first time that I've tried controlling more than two servos and I'm sure that there are things I don't know about making them all play well together.
JamesM

Postby AlexN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 pm

No Dragonforce? How about Flight of the Bumble Bee? :P Kidding of course.

Yeah, servos tend to eat up a lot of current. A power supply or a battery pack would fix that pretty well. I know some similar self-playing instruments people have made use solenoids instead, but that requires having them on every note which probably winds up being more expensive. I like this construction with the servo-controlled mallets. It has that "robot performing a human task" look to it.
AlexN
Site Admin

Return to Projects